"Hairspray" Act I (or: R.I.P. Dick Clark)


John Waters based the character of Corny Collins in Hairspray on America's "Perpetual Teenager," Dick Clark. In the 50's and 60's, Clark hosted "American Bandstand" which was broadcast nationwide out of Philadelphia. He later went on to host "The $10,000 Pyramid" and in the 70's became the face of New Year's Eve as part of ABC's "Dick Clark's Rockin' New Years Eve." Clark - a respected and much-loved TV icon - passed away today age 82. I'll be dedicating my final performances in Hairspray to his memory. 

On a lighter note, here are some pictures from Act I of the MCCC/JTMF production of Hairspray.  Act II will follow tomorrow (Photos copyright Robert Terrano).

"Good Morning, Baltimore"

"The Nicest Kids in Town"

"Tracy Turnblad, where are your manners?"




"I Can Hear The Bells"

"The Madison"
"Miss Baltimore Crabs"
"Detention"
"You're Mama's Welcomin' the 60's"
"Go Mama, Go, Go, Go!"

"Run and Tell That"
"Tracy, Maybe He's Right"

"Big, Blonde and Beautiful!"
"Two-Four-Six-Eight! TV's Got to Integrate!"
And that's Act I. There are still a few tickets left for the Saturday and Sunday matinees, if you are in the area and so inclined.

More, anon.
Prospero
You have read this article Dick Clark / Hairspray / In Memoriam / Photographs / Shameless Self-Promotion / Theatre with the title "Hairspray" Act I (or: R.I.P. Dick Clark). You can bookmark this page URL http://tammycross.blogspot.com/2012/04/act-i-or-rip-dick-clark.html. Thanks!

No comment for ""Hairspray" Act I (or: R.I.P. Dick Clark)"

Post a Comment