The (Literally) Biggest Jerk in America

A-hole Homophobe

While I live and work in neighboring PA, most of my family, the majority of my friends and almost all of the theatre I do are in NJ, so I have an interest in what happens there.

Yesterday, the NJ Assembly voted to pass an amendment which would legalize same-sex marriage in my native state. New Jersey's Repugnican governor has said that he will "move swiftly" to veto the bill, despite overwhelming evidence that the majority of New Jersey residents approve of legalizing same-sex marriage.

What the...?

The Honorable Christine Gregoire, Republican Governor of Washington State (which recently passed a similar bill) wrote to Christie in an effort to persuade him not to veto the bill (via):



As of this writing, Christie has yet to respond to Governor Gregoire's letter. Nor do I expect him to. As a Repugnican and a Catholic, Christie refuses to admit that he is among a dying breed of homophobes who are living on the wrong side of history. 

I don't understand how people can claim that same-sex marriage will destroy or devalue heterosexual marriage. Canada legalized it over 10 years ago, and they have hardly been swallowed down to hell. And don't even get me started on the revenues to be generated in the wedding industry. Why would any governor of any state want to lose out on more taxes?

Just as Washington becomes the 7th state in the U.S. to allow same-sex marriage, New Jersey is missing out on not only increased revenue, but maintaining its reputation as one of the most liberal and progressive states in the country. It makes me sad on so many levels. While I doubt that I will live to see the day when this country comes it to its senses and offers equality to all its citizens, I know that eventually, we'll get there. And folks like Chris Christie will join the ranks of George Wallace, Rush Limbaugh and Strom Thurman on history's list of people who were wrong.

Oh, and the enclosure Governor Gregoire mentioned in her letter? It's a transcript of the speech she gave on January 10th of this year. You can watch it, below:



Enlightenment, like change, is often slow and occasionally painful.

More, anon.
Prospero
You have read this article Gay / Homophobia / Jerks / LGBT / Marriage Equality / New Jersey / Politics / Ramblings with the title The (Literally) Biggest Jerk in America. You can bookmark this page URL http://tammycross.blogspot.com/2012/02/the-literally-biggest-jerk-in-america.html. Thanks!

No comment for "The (Literally) Biggest Jerk in America"

Post a Comment