Don't Stop Making Sense


I don't have HBO, mostly because I think it's outrageous to charge for movies I've already seen at least twice before they even reach the cable channel. And while I may not be able to see their original series in first run (and they honestly haven't had a great one since "Six Feet Under"), I know that I'll be able to see them eventually on DVD. Such is the case with Allen Ball's "True Blood."

Now, you may not find a bigger fan of the vampire genre than your Uncle P, but given the recent flood of "sparkling" vampires (oh, how I hate Stephanie Meyers), I have become rather disenchanted. But from what I have read and heard about "True Blood," I would probably enjoy it.

I'll probably rent the DVDs, eventually. I must admit that I am intrigued by both the concept and the apparently endless parade of naked male flesh on display, especially the beautiful Alexander Skarsgard, pictured to the right.

Skarsgard (son of Exorcist: The Beginning star, Stellan Skarsgard) recently gave an interview to People magazine, regarding his role on the show:

"Not only is Skarsgard spontaneous, he's also comfortable in his own skin – a good thing, considering the amount of nudity on True Blood. The actor says he doesn't mind removing his clothes, despite being teased about it occasionally by his five brothers and one sister. 'I'm not a prude at all,' he says. 'I shot a very, very graphic scene two days ago with a man. I am from Sweden, and it's different there. If it makes sense, I'll just do it. And to me, so far, it's made sense every single time I've got naked or made out on the show.'"

Wow! How many actors do you know who are comfortable enough in their own skins to make a statement like that? I know of one - my Dear D. In four of the six shows in which he has acted for me, D has played gay characters. He's taken abuse for it from both friends and co-workers, but has never wavered in his dedication to the roles. He's made out with two of his best friends on stage for me (The Altruists; Psycho Beach Party and The Most Fabulous Story Ever Told) and even been naked for me (Most Fabulous) on stage. Much like Mr. Skarsgard, he knows that homosexuality is not abnormal, but just another facet of the human the Human Condition. His talents as an actor are nearly as extraordinary as his trust in me as a director and if I had my way, he'd be in every show I ever directed, for the rest of my life.

While we briefly appeared together in A View from the Bridge, we haven't had the opportunity to actually perform together on stage in a substantial way. I certainly hope we get the chance to do so, someday. He's an exceptionally talented and beautiful person, and while he's much younger than me, I still consider him among my best friends.

So what does all this rambling mean? Simply that I am happy to note that there are plenty of people out there who know that "gay" does NOT equal "evil" and that art is not only reflective of real life, but that it can also change people's minds about what is right and wrong. Honestly, I'm tired and coming off of a three-day sinus headache, so what do I know?

Watch for more Sordid Lives updates here, on the JTMF website and the JTMF blog. As for me, I'm tired!

Anyway, here's a sneak peak at the upcoming season of "True Blood:"



More, anon.
Prospero
You have read this article Alexander Skarsgard / Dear D / HBO / Hot / JTMF / On Acting / On Directing / Ramblings / Sordid Lives / True Blood with the title Don't Stop Making Sense. You can bookmark this page URL http://tammycross.blogspot.com/2010/04/don-stop-making-sense.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Don't Stop Making Sense"

Post a Comment