13 Minutes from a Milestone


About 13 minutes from the time I started writing this post, I will be celebrating a birthday milestone. And while I won't tell you exactly how old I am (regular readers have been given many clues over the past 4 years), I will tell you that I never imagined myself at this age, nor can I believe I am this age, already. 

The years have flown by, kids. And for the most part, they have been fairly kind. Yes, I have aches and pains now and then. My knees aren't what they used to be, though I attribute that to both genetics and years of abuse on both dance floors and stages. And for someone who through most of his youth identified with older folks, I am amazed that I still feel connected to folks much younger than myself. I try to keep up on trends, even if I don't understand or particularly like them. I know enough about computers to be effective at the day job; maintain a blog; use Gmail, facebook, MSWord, Excel and my DVR. 

I remember some of the '60's, most of the '70's and all of the '80's and 90's, though I couldn't tell you what I had for breakfast this morning. My political views have not changed, though my activism has increased. I am still very active in live theatre; still love Horror, Sci-Fi and Fantasy movies; still think Harrison Ford was at his physical peak in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and still manage to find a variety of men of all ages attractive. I still love to write (duh!) and know what WTF; LMAO; BRB and TLDR mean. I have friends (literally) all over the world and very dear friends I consider part of my family right here at home. I've traveled more than either of my parents; lived through several wars; seen both domestic and foreign terrorists do horrific things and had five long-term relationships that ended badly. I saw vinyl give way to 8-Track;  Cassette and CD;  VHS give way to DVD; DVD give way to BlueRay and the advent of DVR and digital HDTV. I witnessed the first moon landing, the resignation of a President; both Space Shuttle disasters and the horrific events of 9/11/01. I've also seen amazing triumphs of human will and the best that Art, Science and Literature have had to offer. 

And now I am looking forward to see what the future holds, not only for myself, but the rest of Humanity. And while I find some people to be downright scary, many recent events give me hope for future generations. My ramblings and opinions here may mean very little in the "Grand Scheme" of things, but I am so glad to be living in a time so filled with promise for the future. I only hope that the next generation is able to fulfill that promise.

And now that I've gotten all deeply philosophical on you, I offer up some nonsense for perspective:



More, anon.
Prospero
You have read this article Aging / Birthdays / Monty Python / Nonsense / Ramblings / Zombies with the title 13 Minutes from a Milestone. You can bookmark this page URL http://tammycross.blogspot.com/2011/07/13-minutes-from-milestone.html. Thanks!

No comment for "13 Minutes from a Milestone"

Post a Comment