60 Steampunk Seconds or More


I am hardly a sociologist or psychologist (though basic knowledge of each is most helpful to directors and actors), so I have no real idea why Steampunk has taken hold the way it has. There are conventions and parties and events all over the place and it just amazes me how creative some folks can be when they have time, money and nothing better to do. And that's hardly an insult. Had I those luxuries, I'd probably be right there with you. Hell, I'd probably own my own zeppelin and a fleet of penny farthings...

I'm old... I grew up in the 60's and 70's. It was a weird, weird time and I was a weird, weird kid. I loved reading Jules Verne and HG Welles and watching the movies based on their works. There's a reason "Vernian" shows up so often when talking about Steamheads and their creations.





As a kid, the shirtless Pat Boone was one of my favorite things about this movie... Hmm... whatever could that have meant?  Of course, Pat would probably melt like the Wicked Witch of the West if he ever heard that...



Oh my... Ruggedly handsome Aussie Rod Taylor (The Birds) was hot, wasn't he? But we're talking 
Steampunk, not Steamy Hunks (So, so very sorry about that - sometimes cheese happens - deal with it).

Of course, Verne's and Wells' works have been part of  the movies, almost from the beginning. We've all at least seen clips from Georges Melies' 1902 Le Voyage dans la Lune:



More examples of arguably Steampunk films include:







Anyway, you get the idea. The style isn't new, by any means - it just gained a name. Hell, even ABC's "Castle" recently had a Steampunk episode:



So, how does all this tie together? Well, I'll tell you. I saw this lovely and very amusing little video and had to share it. Please enjoy (via) "Inception - Done in 60 Seconds," a delightful little Steampunk simplification of a movie whose actual "technology" may well be described as "Steampunk," itself:



I'm going to try to attend a Steampunk festival in Massachusetts, later this year. If I make it, I'll be sure to document it.  Everything old is indeed, new again.

More, anon.
Prospero
You have read this article Animation / Movies / Steam Punk / Trailers with the title 60 Steampunk Seconds or More. You can bookmark this page URL http://tammycross.blogspot.com/2011/03/60-steampunk-seconds-or-more.html. Thanks!

No comment for "60 Steampunk Seconds or More"

Post a Comment